Thursday, June 12, 2008

Pieces of Me

Do you ever feel like you are somehow just a mixture of pieces of other people, memories, and past experiences? It's almost like we are sewn together by the Master with threads of other people woven into our lives. There is one person who was woven into my life long ago, it is Courtney. She owns quite a piece of my heart. We've been friends since we were 8 years old. We've been through childhood, dating, marriage, children, infertility, spiritual questions, family problems, health issues, deaths, and any other thing you can imagine. I can't even express how special it is to have known someone so long and be truly known by them. We call each other "bosom friends" (from Anne of Green Gables). Courtney is certainly not my only bosom friend, but she's been around for most of my life. When I had Addie and other surgeries, she left her family to come take care of us. When I need someone to talk to, she is always there. When my Grandpa passed away, she dropped everything to come and take care of Addie so I could mourn. There is nothing we could do or say to each other, that in the end, we couldn't love each other through. She is my cheerleader, my Barnabas, my rock, and my sister.


I can remember when we would have sleepovers at each others houses and talk until the wee hours of the morning, only to call and talk for hours the next day. Our parents (and now our husbands) would always ask what we had to talk about. I can't even tell you, and I still can't. We still talk for hours at least 2 times a week. We've had great times, honest times, hard times, and quiet times.



I think this is why "Sex in the City," "Friends," "Cheers," and other shows like this are so popular. These shows all had one main thing in common, close friendships. I hope all of you have people in your life who are bosom friends. In this world to have intimacy, usually takes on a sexual connotation. Maybe this is the reason for all the promiscuity, and other problems in this world. People are searching and needing to be known, but in the wrong places for the wrong reasons. It's very sad to me. Intimacy with friends is a chance worth taking. You have to trust, put yourself out there and GIVE! Those who have many friends are those who are friends to many. I'm so thankful for the gift God gave us in friendships, and knowing they are eternal just makes it all the more sweet.


"Two are better than one; because they have a good return for their work. If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up. (Eccl. 4:9-10)


Happy Birthday Courtney! I love you.

1 comment:

court said...

I love you too!!! I wish I had your gift of words, but I simply do not. I do know that life itself would not be the same without you. You are really good at this friendship thing!
I'll talk to you tomorrow.
love court