Monday, June 9, 2008

The 12 Hour Worker

There is a parable in the Bible (Matthew 20:1-16) which used to really upset me. It's the parable about the 12 Hour Worker. The paraphrased version is this, an owner of a vineyard goes out to hire people to work in his vineyard. He goes at the beginning of the day to hire people, agrees to pay a day's wages, and takes them to his field to work. Three hours later he hires more people. Again, 3 hours later he hires even more people, and this repeats again. Finally with only one hour to work, he hires the last group of people. At the end of the day you have several groups of people, those who've worked 12 hours, 9 hours, 6 hours, 3 hours and only 1 hour. The owner of the vineyard lines each worker up and pays them the same amount. A day's wages. He even paid those who worked the longest last. Of course this really upset those who worked 12 hours that they were paid the same as the ones who worked only an hour. The landowner says, "Friend I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don't I have the right to do with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?"

This is a hard pill to swallow. Why would this be fair? Why would they all be paid the same? What does it all mean?


It's important to know the historical reality of the day. You see in Christ's day, work was not guaranteed. The workers would sit out at the beginning of the day and wait and hope they would be chosen and able to feed their families that day. The ones who were hired first had the assurance they would feed their families, had their purpose (working in the fields), knew their reward (pay), and peace knowing it was all going to work out. The ones who were hired later, and especially last, spent the entire day worrying over how they would feed their families, having no purpose but just wasting time, with no peace of mind. Which one would you rather be, the ones busy working, or the ones hoping they are chosen?


Why do I relate to the ones who worked the longest? Possibly pride, but also, because I came to know Christ when I was 8 years old. I have lived it my whole life essentially. My dad is a pastor, and I remember being 15 and seeing an 80 year old woman come to Christ for the first time. I remember foolishly thinking, "Now that's the way to go, live like you want your whole life but still get heaven in the end." The truth is the poor woman lived 80 years without any true purpose, without any assurance of heaven, and no peace in her life. She and I will receive the same ultimate reward, heaven. We can't ever earn our way to heaven. But, I am so glad to be a 12 hour worker, my whole life I have had purpose, peace, and the time to get to know the owner of the vineyard.

No comments: