Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Sick Child

Addie has been sick since Friday morning and today is Sunday afternoon. It has been the terrible stomach virus that will not go away. She has had high fever, throwing up and diarrhea. To give you an idea of how bad she feels, she's actually asked us a few times while laying on the couch to just turn off the TV! She said once while throwing up, "Mommy when I throw up, it's just the worst of my life!" It really is. She has had horrible diarrhea with this and we have put towels down on the couch and in the bed. Addie came into the room and our bulldog had made herself comfortable on the couch, and Addie said, "Mommy, Gracie is sitting on my toot towel!" I just had to laugh.

Through the last few days, I am reminded of how much I take her health for granted. Addie is almost never sick. The times we have been at Children's hospitals, I see so many young children with much worse things. We have friends whose children have life altering illnesses, and even those we know who have lost children. I cannot even imagine.

Being very analytical, it makes me wonder how God feels in these circumstances. I have felt a little like I think He must feel these last few days. I wish I could take Addie's pain, her fever and even throw up for her. I wish I could hurt for her so she wouldn't have to hurt. If I did that, what lesson would she or Justin and I learn? If our lives were only easy, would we ever look for a Father who can do all we ask or imagine? Probably not.

So while I go clean up the mess on the floor, on the walls, and in the toilet, I will remind myself how very blessed I am to have a healthy child.

No comments: