Friday, December 12, 2008

Snow, Snow, Snow! (Sung as on White Christmas)




It's the most wonderful time of the year! (or so they tell me) This Christmas season started a little ba-humbug for me this year. Although I love Christmas, I really don't like all the busyness and crowds, and even less the pressure to be thoughtful for all of our families! Last night was one of the first times this season I felt ready for Christmas. There is just something about snow! It seems to me we had more snow growing up in Kentucky and Missouri than here, so I appreciate it so much when we actually get some! Our puppy George loves the snow, and it was his first time. He is so funny as he pushes the snow together with his paws and then slides. While it was coming down last night he kept glancing at his back to see what was landing on him. Then he spends the rest of the time trying to get Addie's mittens as we both giggle. I'm looking forward to watching "White Christmas" and snuggling up to cocoa and a fire this weekend.
In all the traditions we have for ourselves and our families, it's so easy to forget what we celebrate. I have tried to drill it in Addie's head the real meaning of Christmas. We have really enjoyed watching the movie "The Nativity Story" as it gives such a real picture of what it was like for Mary and Joseph all those years ago. The wonder of how God became flesh, and dwelt among us should still astound us. The All-Sufficient God coming as a helpless baby, trusting the very people who have let Him down countless times, should still astound us. I will pray God astounds me this year as we retell the Christmas story and remember it was all for us.

No comments: