Saturday, July 25, 2009

31

In June, Faith Murphy, a friend from our church called, she said they were beginning a new thing in the Women's ministry at our church. (www.clearview.org) Faith asked me if I had any ideas or anything I would like to contribute to the Women's Ministry. We talked back and forth about some ideas, and then the idea came to me. There are so many things I would like to know how to do! I knew I wasn't the only one who felt lost when particular subjects came up. I have friends who are newly married who need a few cooking hints, and other women like me, whose Mom or Grandma didn't show them how to sew. What if we had a night where women of all ages could come learn something new! A safe environment where the older could teach the younger, the skilled could teach the unskilled, and have fun learning together while building relationships. So often in our churches, we seem to become familiar with a few families, but never get to know those older or younger than us, or those in different situations. This event would allow women of all ages-single, married, widowed, and divorced, to come together.

The idea took flight. I started thinking about classes we could have like gardening, cooking, skin care, sewing, scrapbooking, budgeting and then I found teachers for each one. Faith and I chose a date at church, booked the room, and began setting up a budget, securing a caterer, and made plans for childcare. We decided to call it "31" after the woman talked about in Proverbs 31. She was resourceful with what God had blessed her with! She worked hard, and was a blessing to her family. Not since I was a student minister at Grace Baptist Church, had I took on such a huge event to plan. I really have never enjoyed doing the details, the ideas are much more fun! Since the event took off, we have been so blessed by the response! We have ladies from high school up to the age of 92! We've had ladies come and suggest other classes for the future, and agree to teach them. We also have ladies from parents to grandparents, singles to divorced, and everything in between. My prayer is for God to use the event for His kingdom. I know the teachers will bring Christ into the conversation. I know God will bless their faithfulness. God has already blown our expectation, in our finite minds our hope was to have between 50-75 ladies coming to the event. It was a week night in the middle of Summer, and an event we've never done or heard of! The last count I got on Friday was 152 women. Wow. It's really a "God" moment for me. I can't wait to see what He does on Tuesday!



Proverbs 31:25-31
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

2 comments:

Just Brandy said...

That is so awesome! I would have been there if I lived closer. I want to learn how to knit...I hope my church does something like this, without me planning it.

The Adkins Family said...

That is such a wonderful idea! I would love to be involved in something like that. One more reason we need to just move to Nashville : )
Jessica