Wednesday, August 13, 2008

When Satan Laughs

My dad has been a pastor for over 42 years. He retired in December after much prayer and consideration, because his Parkinson's disease had begun to affect his job performance. It was a difficult decision for him, who once believed he'd go to his grave from the pulpit. Making the decision all the more difficult was his deep love for his church. Dad and Mom decided to stay in the church as members.

At the time of Dad's retirement, the church had minor issues but was growing, active, loving, and trying to reach the people in their community for Christ. Since his retirement, an interim pastor and influential men in his church have begun to divide the people and cause great pain to the church and my parents. At first, I wanted my parents to stay and fight for what I believed was right for the church. Now, I am hoping they leave the mess, either by leaving the church, or just staying out of the way of the fiery arrows.

What saddens me the most is knowing how much Satan is laughing. He uses Christian people for evil. He puffs them up with their own pride and selfish ambitions, and makes them believe in their hearts its for the best. Meanwhile, the bride of Christ is torn to pieces, made ineffective for the gospel, and breaking the hearts of the ones who serve in it. On a personal level, it's heartbreaking because I see my parents suffer. This situation has further aged my Dad, and caused his Parkinson's to be even more cruel. There are times I want to call those who are responsible and fight for my parents and what I believe is right. If I did, would I be any better than those who started the whole thing? I really don't know. Tonight I will pray, and I will remember who God is. He is the God of the Israelites, and when they worshipped the golden calves days after seeing the Red Sea part, He still loved them. The God of David, who even after David murdered his mistress's husband, God loved him and restored him. God is the Restorer, the Redeemer, Sovereign and I'm glad it's in His hands and not ours.

All a man's ways seem right to him, but the Lord weighs the heart. Proverbs 21:2

No comments: