Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Gracie's Birthday



(As I am typing this, I am becoming emotional!) Our 1/2 Pug and 1/2 French bulldog is turning 9 years old today! Gracie is really my first dog. We had dogs until I was about 8 years old, so I don't remember them well. My grandparents had dogs we claimed, and some were very special. Gracie surpasses all of them. She has been through so much with us. From moves to vacations to Addie's birth, she has been our constant companion and friend. The only reason I am even a little sad today is because I don't know how much longer we will have with Gracie, my hope is years. If only dogs could have the same life expectancy as we do!


We got her around Halloween in 2000, and carried her in a plastic pumpkin through Walmart while we bought new dog things. We named her "Gracie" after the church we had just moved away from in Knoxville. We spoiled her, loved her, trained her, and enjoyed how much she added to our lives. Gracie has always been great with Addie. When Addie was a newborn, I would lay her on our bed while I showered. There were times I would come out only to find Gracie and Addie snuggled together on our bed. Gracie never took food from Addie, and she was protective of her. To this day, Gracie enjoys playing with Addie. Gracie seems older and older to me now, as she sometimes limps from bad hips. She is still the same wonderful dog we love so much, but she just can't do everything she once could do. Aging is a terrible thing. I will spend today being thankful for the 9 years we have had with her, and praying for more!

2 comments:

Essy said...

OH man Tif!!! That pic of Gracie in the costume made me laugh so hard I almost peed!!! I know what you mean about loving your dog! Since she's a little part pug she reminds me so much of Jake and Casey, and before that Keith and I had Sammie! I love all of them so much and Sammie was awesome and it was very hard when he had to go!! Dogs do add so much to our lives and I am totally with you my friend!!! It's so cute to see that pic of Gracie and Addie too!! I love you chica! And miss you!!!

Unknown said...

Tiff...Dogs are so special and I know how you feel. Just let Gracie know how much she's loved and God will take care of the rest. I loved the picture of Gracie and Addie...That will always be special! You take care of your beautiful family and thank you for sharing your life with us.