Sunday, March 22, 2009

Addie's First Soccer Game!






Well, we have tried gymnastics, swimming, and done several outdoor things with Addie, but never an organized sport. Addie was sick for her first practice, got rained out of another practice and game, and the coach was out of town for the other practice. We showed up at the field having no training in soccer, other than last summer's soccer camp and Justin's kicking it around with her. This was a recipe for a difficult game. I discovered lots of things about Addie and myself at this first soccer game.


1. I am very competitive, and it hurts a little to see your child running 20 feet away from the ball with no idea what to do.


2. Addie knows how to kick the ball, but it is a completely different thing to add 8 other people trying to kick the same ball and expect her to kick it too.


3. As much as you think you have shown your child how to play, there is no teacher as good as experience.


4. Peacemakers don't make the best soccer players. But, I'll take the peacemaker any day of the week.


5. I found myself wishing my parents had let me play soccer at age 5, but knowing then what I know now (how to play soccer). Wow, I could really be good if that happened!


6. I need to be very careful to enjoy the time, and let go of any frustration I might feel. It's not the Olympics after all!


All in all, it was a fun day and we saw great improvement in the hour she played. We look forward to many more soccer games and are so proud of her. If ever you are feeling down, I highly recommend watching a little league soccer game. It is quite amusing, and you'll be surprised at what you learn.

2 comments:

Just Brandy said...

This sounds exactly like MacKenna's soccer experience!! I just stopped watching because I got so frustrated. It was so hard to be ok with her running away from the ball and she told us that soccer isn't for her because she didn't want to get kicked in the legs. She also said it wasn't nice to take the ball from other people. The sad part is she's a great runner and she could be good. Maybe we'll try again in a couple of years?

Brandy

The Adkins Family said...

Connor scored a couple of goals during the season, but mostly, he was more interested in making everyone laugh and getting to know the other kids. He is such the social butterfly! I am SO COMPETITIVE, so it about killed me. I had to get a grip!

I've been thinking so much about you lately. I am so frustrated with the adoption right now, and every forum we read just confirms our worst fears of waiting at least two more years. I know you understand my heart better than anyone right now!