Friday, September 5, 2008

Addie turns 5!


Well, it's hard to believe and hard to swallow, but yesterday Addie turned 5 years old. I cannot begin to tell you what a blessing she has been to us. At first, like all parents we fell in love with her but had quite the adjustment to our carefree lives. I can't even imagine our lives without her now. Her personality is outgoing, funny, loving, gentle, tenderhearted, fun, and caring. Addie's favorite movie is Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, the 1954 version, which has been one of my favorites for years! Justin always says how much Addie is like me, although she has the gentleness, love, and humor of him. She loves to play the Wii with her Daddy. She is very much a Daddy's girl right now.







She asked me a really deep theological question yesterday, and I thought surely this doesn't happen at 5 years old. We have had big rains today, and her party was supposed to be tonight. We had to move the party to tomorrow. She said, "Mommy, does God make it rain?" To which I replied, "Yes, God makes it rain." Then without missing a beat she said, "Why would God make it rain on my party?" It's funny she is asking the same things I am asking right now in my own spiritual walk with the Lord. Why does God bring so much rain in our lives? I know His purpose is bigger and better than ours, but why does He have to make us endure such pain. When she asked the question, it made me wonder if she's heard our conversations and picked up on our struggles. We will be more careful. Although, I would like her to have a real picture of life and God, not the fairy tale "Santa Claus" God who doesn't exist. It will be a matter of balance, of teaching her who God is through the Bible and through our own experience with Him.

All in all, Addie had a great birthday and we will pray for another wonderful year of growing and learning together. . .

No comments: